Ear Aesthetics - Otoplasty
Prominent Ear Aesthetics
Prominent ear deformity occurs as a result of insufficient formation of cartilage folds during the development of the baby's ear cartilage in the mother's womb. Therefore, it can be observed that the ears are prominent at birth.
If the ear can be intervened with special apparatus and bands within the first 72 hours after birth, the prominent ear deformity can be improved. In this period, thanks to the estrogen hormone passed from the mother to the baby at birth, the ear cartilages of the babies have a soft consistency.
For the correction of prominent ear deformity, 6-7 years of age are expected in preschool, when the ear development is largely completed. From this age onwards, prominent ear aesthetics can be performed at any age.
Prominent ear deformity is a common ailment. It is a situation that should be taken seriously, which can be a source of ridicule among children at an early age and can negatively affect school success due to the social trauma it creates in the primary school period. Families should take the issue seriously, assess the child's condition and seek expert advice.
- Ear aesthetics in young children is performed under general anesthesia. In adults, it can be done under local anesthesia with or without the use of sedative drugs.
- The surgery takes about 1.5 hours.
- The operation is performed by either removing the cartilage or reshaping the existing cartilage according to the structure of the ear cartilage.
- It can be done with an approach behind the ear or in the front of the ear.
- Ear aesthetics usually starts with an incision made behind the auricle and removal of a piece of skin. The cartilage area to be folded is determined. The seams that will form the fold are marked. The cartilage area to be folded is rasped, weakened and brought to a curling consistency. The ear canal is shaped with stitches placed at the marked places.
- In necessary patients, the angle between the ear and the head is narrowed by using cartilage removal and/or sutures between the ear base and the skull bone membrane.
- The incision made behind the ear is closed with an aesthetic suture and the surgery is completed.
- Then dressing is done.
- Patients who have surgery under local anesthesia do not need to stay in the hospital, they can go home the same day.
- A dressing is applied that will remain for 2-3 days after the operation. On the third day, you can take a bath with warm water.
- Afterwards, the dressing is opened and the wide hair band used by tennis players is used.
- This band is intended to prevent the ears from being traumatized during recovery. After a few weeks, this application is terminated and the patient is freed from the need to camouflage their new, smooth ears with their hair.
- They can get back to work using a headband in a few days.
If you are interested in aesthetics, breast augmentation ve Liposuction you should definitely read our articles.